Monday, March 3, 2014

Serendipity & Lou Reed

I missed out on Lou Reed. He died last year. Didn't mean much to me. He was an East Coast artist, and I was into West Coast music, so I am unfamiliar with his work.

For the past several months, we've seen adverts for the Sony's Playstation 4 when watching shows on streaming video. Here's the video. Cool video, interesting song, I thought. Could not place it, didn't know what it was.

A couple weeks ago while getting a lift from our friends, Barb and Robin, the song came on the radio. Different singer, same song. "Lou Reed," sighed Robin.

The only Reed song I recognize is Walk on the Wild Side with its famous two-bass (electric & upright) double-stopped opposing glissandi intro. Well, it turns out that the song Sony used is from the same album: Perfect Day from his album, "Transformer" (1972). I just got a copy and it's a very fine album.

Most of you already know that, so I'm late to the game, but I'm happy to have discovered it.


No comments:

Post a Comment