Sunday, March 2, 2014

My Favorite Academy Fact

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Formed in 1927. Tasked to "raise the cultural, educational, and scientific standards" of film.

Ever since the "Planet of the Apes" won Best Makeup in 1969 over the more interesting costuming and makeup work for the prehumans in "2001: A Space Odyssey"; the same year when the forgettable "Oliver!" won Best Picture over Kubrick's influential film, I have wondered -- who does the voting?

I know someone who is a voting member of the Academy. But she's only one person. How about the rest?

Well, a survey taken two years ago by the Los Angeles Times found that the members "proved to be ninety-four per cent white and seventy-seven per cent male, with an average age of sixty-two, and artist tastes to match." ("The Talk of the Town." The New Yorker 3 March 2014: 23)

Well -- no surprise then. Old white men. 

Okay, I was 18 when I first saw 2001. I'm an old white man now. But I still think the Academy makes lame choices. "Inside Llewyn Davis" should win. But it won't.

They'll pick something stupid. A sentimental favorite. Safe choices. Hand-jobs all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment